Pre-diabetes implies that you are only one-step from type-2 diabetes. To make this step or not depends only on your will and desire to be healthy. Of course, pre-diabetes does not come from nowhere. There are certain elements contributing to its progress.
The mechanism of appearance of pre-diabetes
This state develops resulting from the incorrect work of pancreas. Speaking about the norm, beta cells of pancreas generate insulin, which is a peptide hormone. It makes the cells accept glucose and use it as energy supplier. Nevertheless, it may happen so that the cells do not give a normal response to insulin. Your pancreas increases the quantity of hormone trying to activate the cells thus the load on the organ grows and it fails to perform its job the way it has to. Consequently, the rate of sugar in blood rises causing pre-diabetic state.
What is responsible for pre-diabetes advancement?
The reasons influencing the advancement of pre-diabetes vary from some health issues to your heredity. Here are the main reasons why people may evolve a pre-diabetic condition:
- Excessive body mass. Patients who suffer from excessive weight or obesity have higher chances to get pre-diabetes and therefore diabetes of the second type. To diminish the danger connected with weight, a person from the group of risk has to lose 7% of his initial weight. Anyway, losing only a couple of kilograms will significantly improve the situation.
- Lack of physical activity. People, who do not do any physical exercises are exposed to quick weight-gain, which is the most often cause of pre-diabetes and diabetes.
- Unbalanced nourishment. Wholesome diet is crucial for keeping good health. You should not eat fast food or overindulge in fatty food and sweets.
- Family members having diabetes. The mechanism is still not clear but it is known for sure that those, who had a family member suffering from diabetes, are inclined to this disease and hence, to pre-diabetes;
- Gestational diabetes or giving birth to a child weighing more than 4.5kg. It is considered that if the pancreas failed to cope with load during pregnancy, it may do the same thing again.
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. This disease is characterized by hormonal failure and insulin is a hormone too. Besides, women having this illness are predisposed to have excessive weight, which also rises the danger of disease emergence.
- Belonging to a certain ethnic group. It is a proven fact that people of different ethnicities have different inclination to pre-diabetes. The statistics says that African Americans, Native Americans, Hispanic/Latin People, Asians and Pacific Islanders have higher probability to form a pre-diabetic state than the representatives of other ethnicities do.
Do not neglect your health. Make a blood glucose testing at least once a year especially if you belong to the people, who are inclined to this insidious illness.